Drugs and dosage are intended as general guidelines only. Adjust dosages based on clinical situation: hepatorenal function, cardiopulmonary bypass, ECMO, etc.
- Atropine: 0.01–0.03 mg/kg IM, IV, ET, IC, IO
- Sodium bicarbonate: 1–2 mEq/kg (0.3 × kg × BE) IV, IC, IO
- Calcium chloride 10–30 mg/kg IV, IC slowly (maximum 1 g/dose)
- Calcium gluconate 60–100 mg/kg IV, IC (maximum 2 g/dose)
- Dextrose 0.5–1 g/kg IV = 1–2 mL/kg D50; or 2–4 mL/kg D25W or 5–10 mL/kg D10W or 10–20 mL/kg D5NS
- Diltiazem (Cardizem): 0.25 mg/kg over 2 minutes; may repeat in 15 minutes at 0.35 mg/kg over 2 minutes
- Ephedrine: 0.2–0.3 mg/kg/dose
- Epinephrine 10 μg/kg IV, IC, IO; ET = 100 μg/kg
- Lidocaine: 1 mg/kg IV, IC, ET, IO
- Lipid emulsion (Intralipid) 20%, 1.5 mL/kg over 1 minute × 3 prn, 0.25 mL/kg/min, and then 0.5 mL/kg/min if hypotensive
- Dantrolene: 2.5 mg/kg IV load; repeat until signs of MH are reversed; up to 30 mg/kg may be necessary; maintenance: 1.2 mg/kg IV q6 hours as needed
- V-fib: 2 J/kg, and then 4 J/kg (defibrillation = unsynchronized) using the largest paddles that fit
- Synchronized cardioversion: 0.5–1 J/kg, and then 2 J/kg
- Adenosine: 0.1 mg/kg IV push (maximum 6 mg); repeat 0.2 mg/kg (maximum 12 mg)
- Amiodarone: V-fib—5 mg/kg IV load over 30 seconds (maximum 300 mg); SVT: 5 mg/kg over 10 minutes × 5 doses; non-PVC container
- Digoxin: initial load 4–25 μg/kg IV:
- Maintenance 5–10 μg/kg/dose BID
- IV dose = 2/3 PO dose
- Diltiazem: 0.25 mg/kg over 2 minutes; may repeat in 15 minutes at 0.35 mg/kg over 2 minutes
- Dopamine, dobutamine: 2–20 μg/kg/min
- Ephedrine: 0.2–0.3 mg/kg/dose
- Epinephrine, isoproterenol, norepinephrine: 0.05–1 μg/kg/min
- Esmolol: 0.5 mg/kg bolus over 1 minute; maintenance: 50–300 μg/kg/min
- Lidocaine: 1–2 mg/kg/dose IV; 20–50 μg/kg/min (adult dose 1–4 mg/min)
- Magnesium sulfate for torsades de pointes: 25–50 mg/kg (maximum 2 g) over 10–20 minutes
- Milrinone: 20–50 μg/kg load; maintenance: 0.3–0.7 μg/kg/min
- Nitroglycerin: 0.5–5 μg/kg/min
- Nitroprusside: 0.5–10 μg/kg/min
- PGE1 (alprostadil): 0.05–0.1 μg/kg/min
- Phenylephrine: 0.1–0.5 μg/kg/min; 1 μg/kg bolus
- Procainamide: 3–6 mg/kg (maximum 100 mg each dose) over 5 minutes × 3 q5–10 minutes; maintenance: 20–80 μg/kg/min (adult 1–4 mg/min)
- Propranolol: 0.05–0.15 mg/kg IV slowly (maximum 5 mg)
- Vasopressin: mix 10 U in 50 mL, so 1 mL = 0.2 U
- Hypotension: 0.0005–0.002 U/kg/min
- GI bleed: 0.002–0.005 U/kg/min
- Verapamil: 0.05–0.2 mg/kg IV over 2 minutes (maximum 5 mg)
- Cisatracurium: 0.1–0.2 mg/kg/dose IV; lasts 15–45 minutes
- Pancuronium: 0.1 mg/kg/dose IV; lasts 1–2 hours
- Rocuronium: 0.4–1.0 mg/kg/dose IV; 0.6 mg/kg/h
- Succinylcholine: 1–2 mg/kg IV; 4 mg/kg IM; consider giving atropine first
- Vecuronium: 0.1 mg/kg/dose IV; lasts 30 minutes
- Chloral hydrate: 30–80 mg/kg/dose PO, PR
- Clonidine: 0.004 mg/kg PO (maximum 0.1 mg)
- Dexmedetomidine: load with 1 μg/kg IV over 5 minutes, and then 0.2–1 μg/kg/h
- Diphenhydramine: 0.2–2 mg/kg/dose IV q4–6 hours; or 1.25 mg/kg/dose q6 hours (maximum 400 mg per day)
- Etomidate: 0.3 mg/kg IV
- Haloperidol: 1–3 ...
Log In to View More
If you don't have a subscription, please view our individual subscription options below to find out how you can gain access to this content.
Want remote access to your institution's subscription?
Sign in to your MyAccess profile while you are actively authenticated on this site via your institution (you will be able to verify this by looking at the top right corner of the screen - if you see your institution's name, you are authenticated). Once logged in to your MyAccess profile, you will be able to access your institution's subscription for 90 days from any location. You must be logged in while authenticated at least once every 90 days to maintain this remote access.
If your institution subscribes to this resource, and you don't have a MyAccess profile, please contact your library's reference desk for information on how to gain access to this resource from off-campus.
AccessAnesthesiology Full Site: One-Year Subscription
Connect to the full suite of AccessAnesthesiology content and resources including procedural videos, interactive self-assessment, real-life cases, 20+ textbooks, and more
Pay Per View: Timed Access to all of AccessAnesthesiology
24 Hour Subscription $34.95
48 Hour Subscription $54.95
Pop-up div Successfully Displayed
This div only appears when the trigger link is hovered over.
Otherwise it is hidden from view.