Skip to Main Content

++

INTRODUCTION

++

A seizure is a brief episode of abnormal, excessive, synchronous, cerebral neuronal activity that results in an alteration of motor function, sensation, behavior, or consciousness. Epilepsy is a syndrome of recurrent seizures without an underlying etiology. Seizures occur more frequently in children and in the elderly. There is a 5%–10% incidence of seizure activity by the age of 80 and if you have a single seizure, your chance of having another is 40%–50%.

++

CLASSIFICATION

++

In 2010, the International League Against Epilepsy (ILAE) created a classification which describe seizures as being either “genetic”, “structural-metabolic”, or “unknown.” Genetic etiologies include channelopathies, progressive myoclonic epilepsies, malformations in cerebral cortical development, mitochondrial diseases, and neoplasms with suspected genetic contributions. Structural-metabolic etiologies include cerebrovascular disease, trauma, infections, neoplasms, and autoimmune/inflammatory processes. On a cellular level, the underlying etiology of a seizure can be attributed to loss of inhibitory gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) activity, abnormal voltage-gated calcium or sodium currents, and enhanced release of excitatory amino acids (glutamate).

++

Focal (Partial) Seizures

++

Classifications of epilepsy that predated modern neuroimaging techniques used the terms “focal” and “generalized” to infer the presence or absence of a structural lesion. However, it is now acknowledged that “generalized” seizures on EEG can be the result of a focal etiology. For the most part, when seizures are secondary to a discrete, structural lesion, the term focal seizure is used. Focal (partial) seizures are described as simple, complex, or focal with secondary generalization. Complex focal seizures are not associated with impairment of consciousness. These often have automatisms. Automatisms are nonconsciously generated, repetitive movements such as lips smacking or chewing. A focal seizure evolving to a bilateral, convulsive seizure is termed a focal seizure with secondary generalization. Fifty-seven percent of all seizures are partial and a new onset, partial seizure suggests an underlying lesion.

++

Generalized Seizures

++

Generalized seizures are symmetrical and synchronous, involving both cerebral hemispheres at onset. Generalized seizures often originate from deep, midline structures in the thalamus or brainstem. Loss of consciousness is noted at onset, typically without an aura. They represent 40% of all seizures and are further defined as tonic-clonic, myoclonic, clonic, atonic (astatic), tonic, or absence based on clinical manifestations and electroencephalographic findings. Generalized epileptic syndromes in children include infantile spasms (West syndrome), Lennox–Gastaut syndrome, childhood absence, juvenile myoclonic epilepsy, benign occipital epilepsy of childhood, Landau–Kleffner syndrome, and benign epilepsy with central temporal spikes. Febrile seizures are seen in 2%–5% of children between the ages of 6 months and 6 years.

++

CLINICAL EVALUATION

++

While absence seizures last about 10 seconds without postictal confusion, most generalized seizures last less than 2–3 minutes and are associated with postictal fatigue and confusion. A seizure lasting longer than 5 minutes defines status epilepticus. Occasionally, partial or total focal paralysis (Todd’s) manifesting with transient focal weakness, aphasia, and hemianopsia can ...

Want remote access to your institution's subscription?

Sign in to your MyAccess profile while you are actively authenticated on this site via your institution (you will be able to verify this by looking at the top right corner of the screen - if you see your institution's name, you are authenticated). Once logged in to your MyAccess profile, you will be able to access your institution's subscription for 90 days from any location. You must be logged in while authenticated at least once every 90 days to maintain this remote access.

Ok

About MyAccess

If your institution subscribes to this resource, and you don't have a MyAccess profile, please contact your library's reference desk for information on how to gain access to this resource from off-campus.

Subscription Options

AccessAnesthesiology Full Site: One-Year Subscription

Connect to the full suite of AccessAnesthesiology content and resources including procedural videos, interactive self-assessment, real-life cases, 20+ textbooks, and more

$995 USD
Buy Now

Pay Per View: Timed Access to all of AccessAnesthesiology

24 Hour Subscription $34.95

Buy Now

48 Hour Subscription $54.95

Buy Now

Pop-up div Successfully Displayed

This div only appears when the trigger link is hovered over. Otherwise it is hidden from view.